Head search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 He called for a new investigation based on new evidence indicating that the wreckage of the Boeing 777 may be at the bottom of the Indian Ocean, according to a report.
Peter Foley, who led the Australian government’s search for the ill-fated plane, which disappeared on March 8, 2014, with 239 people on board, He told The Times of London He approved new research produced by oceanographers and aviation experts.
The flight, which took off for Beijing from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, mysteriously reversed course and traveled south until the fuel ran out.
Acting on behalf of Malaysia, Australia Failed to locate the aircraft During the largest search in aviation history before it was completed in 2017. The second search, led by the US company Ocean Infinity, was also blank.
But 33 pieces of debris – confirmed or classified as very likely to be from the plane – have been found in Mauritius, Madagascar, Tanzania and South Africa, The Times reports.
In August 2020, part of the wing pavilion was found in South Africa.
On Monday, a report from an independent group of experts said the damage indicated it had ripped apart the aircraft in an uncontrolled, high-speed dive – contradicting alternative theories that a rogue pilot abandoned the aircraft, according to the enforcer.
Ocean drift analysis and a revised flight path review released late last year found that the MH370 may have dived about 1,200 miles west of Cape Lewin, Western Australia.
Foley, who oversaw the sonar research covering nearly 50,000 square miles of ocean floor, said a new investigation should examine the sea floor 70 nautical miles on either side of the target area.
“The large areas have not been completely searched,” he told The Times.
Blaine Gibson, a 63-year-old US attorney who has devoted much of recent years to researching the wreckage, said updated modeling by Professor Charitha Batterachi, an oceanographer at the University of Western Australia, provided a strong case for a third research.
Bataraci had predicted where to find the wreck a year before the first piece was found.
The Malaysian government has said it will need convincing new evidence before embarking on further research.